Thursday, September 11, 2008

EVANGELICALS AGAINST MCCAIN/PALIN-THANKS TO THE DAILY KOS

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/10/15218/4307/139/593799

The link above, click on it, or read below...


We Are Out Here- Updated
by
ex VRWC
Wed Sep 10, 2008 at 05:15:44 PM PDT
We are out here - the Republicans or ex-Republicans who will no longer tolerate the racist, despicable slime machine that the right wing and the John McCain-Sarah Palin campaign has become. I know, for I am one of them. I am not your typical progressive, being an ex- Air Force officer (9 years), evangelical Christian, card carrying conservative, Rush/Hannity listener - an now an Obama supporter in John McCain's home state of Arizona.
And I know I am not alone - for one, my grown sons are with me. My older, now in college, proudly rides around with Obama stickers on his scooter. He, also, was raised an evangelical Christian, and goodness knows I subjected him to a conservative worldview.
So what gives? Why are we out here - the Rebublican Obama supporters, the ones you don't expect. More on my story below:
ex VRWC's diary :: ::
ROTC Cadet, Air Force Captain, Free Republic diarist, James Dobson quoting conservative, 2 time Bush voter. Church worship leader. These all describe me. And there are more just like me. My evolution to progressive awareness has been a slow one, but is has never gone faster than in the last 3 or 4 months. How do I describe myself now - a progressive conservative, of course (if there is such a thing)!
So why am I and those like me out here? I am out here because I see through the hysteria that the right wing has become. I know the abandonment of principles when we see it. I despise in today's Republican Party what I was always told were the worst traits of the 'left' in years past. I know better these days. I have come to the realization that in many ways I left my brain turned off for far too long. I listened to those I was supposed to agree with, and never tried to be, as Rush Limbaugh says, a 'truth seeker'. Well I am a truth seeker now, I find truth much more often when I listen to Rachel Maddow that I ever did on Rush. I am able to see (on the right) political opportunism, shameless lying, rampant political positioning, and a party leadership that has forfieted all claim to trust.
Nothing has shamed me more than the evangelical groupthink around the Sarah Palin pick. People I used to respect for their strong stand on the family and values have completely abandoned their principles to back someone whom they think offers a slim grasp at victory. I will not participate in it, nor will my church, for which I am thankful. Trust me, the groupthink on the right is not as rampant as you may think. There are those of us that recognize that our so-called conservative and Christian leaders in this country are almost universally bankrupt, and we are outraged and ashamed.
The sins of the right in this campaign and of the last 8 years do not go unnoticed. The racism, the shameless lying, the demeaning, the assumption that the 'base' is composed of idiots - I see through these things. I see through the rabid assertions that question patriotism or imply sympathy with terrorism. I see through the thin veneer of declaring 'victory' in Iraq. I see the right wing totally ignoring the very real issues we face - the housing crisis, the mortgage meltdown, the looming bank bailout, the sellout of the economy in the name of 'globalization'. I saw the disregard for fellow humans that was Katrina and its aftermath, even to this day. I see the eroded stature of our nation that 8 years of 'maverick' foriegn policy has wrought. We are not stupid.
What do I see in Barack Obama? I see an intelligent, thoughtful, unflappable leader. I see a patriot who is rising up and putting himself forth for leadership of this great nation in its hour of need. Goodness knows, I would not want the job. I see a man who will perform the duties of the President of the United States with sober and thoughtful judgement. I see a man with the breadth and depth who can address many of these problems we face as a nation. I see a man who wants to bring us together. I don't pretend it will be easy, it will not be. There are big problems to be solved. We will need to come together, those of us on each side of the political spectrum. First to get Barack Obama elected, then to work to make America a better place. I will do my part to convince those I know that a vote for McCain will be a disaster.
So, progressives on the left, know that there are those of us on the right that have been listening and paying attention. We have heard what Barack Obama is saying. We look forward to working together with you to make this nation a better place. Godspeed in the next 2 months.
Update

No comments: